Save on Groceries
Once you’ve used your senior discount at all of your favorite restaurants, you’ll need to buy some groceries. Lots of stores give a senior discount – you just need to ask.
Keep in mind that discounts and deals may vary and can change without notice.
• Farm Fresh – 5% discount Tuesdays and Thursdays (55+)
• Hy-Vee – depending on location will usually offer 5% discount on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (some stores set age to 65+)
• Publix – weekly discount on Wednesday depending on location (55+)
• Fred Meyer – 10% senior discount on the first Tuesday of every month
• New Seasons Market – 10% discount every Wednesday
• Compare Food Supermarket – 10% discount in participating locations, get in touch with your local store to find out more
• Piggly Wiggly – varying discounts at participating locations
• Fry’s Food – 10% discount on the first Wednesday of every month to all seniors with VIP card.
• Save on Prescriptions
• CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart and Rite Aid
• Medication is an essential part of human life, and the costs of the prescriptions add up more and more as you age. Most retirees need to take some type of medication, so it’s only right that you should be able to get a discount on your pills.
• You can get a discount at the pharmacy section of lots of retail stores including CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart, Rite Aid and also on websites like Narcup.com.
• Also, some pharmaceutical companies will send seniors a discount card that you can show when paying for prescriptions. Just remember to check with your local pharmacy to see what discounts are available to you, because discounts might change depending on location.
• Get Your Prescription Drugs Covered With Medicare
• Many seniors may be able to get extra benefits like prescription drug coverage and don’t even know they’re available. You can check if you are eligible to get vision, dental, hearing or prescription drug coverage included in your plan at BestMedicarePlans.com
• Save on Shopping
• Banana Republic, Kohl’s, Marshall’s and Stein Mart
• You might be surprised to learn that a lot of trendy shops give a senior citizens discount. At Banana Republic, if you over 50-years old you can get a 10% discount at stores, simply by asking for it.
• At Kohl’s on Wednesdays, over 60s can get 15% off. And on Tuesdays, outlet stores Marshall’s, Ross will offer up a 10% discount for seniors – though the exact age is determined by each store.
• Walgreens hold a “Seniors Day” once a month too – which varies by location. Discounts of 20% are available for Rewards card members that are over 55 years old in store, and if you’re shopping online you can get a 10% price reduction.
• If you are 62 or older, you can get a 10% discount every Tuesday and Wednesday at Dress Barn. And that’s not all, Stein Mart are treating over 55s with their clearance offer. On the first Monday of each month, you can get an extra 20% discount on clearance items. Goodwill gives 10%-20% discounts varying by store.
• Just remember to check with the specific store in your area, as discounts might vary and change without notice.
If you don’t feel like cooking be sure to turn to these places for good senior dining deals. From fast food to steak restaurants, our compiled restaurant list will definitely help you make your choice.
Keep in mind that deals may vary at participating locations and can change without notice.
• McDonald’s: discounts on coffee and beverages (55+)
• Whataburger: free drink with purchase of a meal, depending on location (55+)
• Wendy’s: give free coffee or other discounts depending on location
• Piccadilly Cafeteria – 10% discount with “Prime Time for Seniors” card
• IHOP – 10% discount (55+) and a menu specially for people aged 55 and over at participating locations
• Golden Corral: Senior discount varies by location
• Krispy Kreme Senior Discount: 10% off (50+) (age and discount varies depending on location)
• Perkins Restaurants: Fifty-Five Plus menu Offers special deals (55+)
• Subway: 10% off (60+) varies by location
• The Old Spaghetti Factory: Spaghetti Factory “Senior Menu” offers discounted list of menu items
• Uno Pizzaria & Grill: “Double Nickel Club” 25% off on Wednesday (55+)
• Sizzler: Offers “Honored Guest Menu” (60+) varies by location
• Papa John’s Senior Discount: check with your local stores (no standard senior discount policy)
• Old Country Buffet: Daily discounts for seniors (55+)
• Friendly’s Restaurants: 10% off meal w/ free coffee at breakfast or free small sunday during non-breakfast hours
• Fazoli’s: Join “Club 62” for special senior menu items (62+)
• KFC: free small drink with any meal depending on location (55+)
• Country Kitchen: Great Senior Menu (55+)
• Burger King: 10% discount on purchase depending on location (60+)
If you want to settle down for the night someplace away from home you can be sure to get a discount at Marriott, Comfort Inn, Motel 6 and more.
Keep in mind that discounts may vary and change without notice.
• Marriott – 15% discount (62+). You can book online or call and ask for the senior discount
• Red Roof Inn – option of “senior rate” when you book online, may not be available for all locations
• Choice Hotels – 10% discount if you book in advance (60+)
• Hyatt Hotels – up to 50% off in participating locations. To qualify for this deal you have to make a reservation in advance and book for two people (60+)
• La Quinta – varying offers at participating locations (65+). Book online or call and ask for senior discounts
• Omni Hotels – varying offers at participating locations (55+)
• Motel 6 – 10% discount (60+). Call and book over the phone in order to get discount
• Wyndham Hotels – varying offers at participating locations (60+)
• Hampton Inns & Suites – 10% off when booked 72 hours in advance
• Visit Amusement Parks
• Busch Gardens, SeaWorld Orlando, Disney Land & Dollywood
• If you’re up for an adventure, you can use your discount at theme parks too. While your days of riding the rollercoaster might be over, there are still some other great attractions on offer.
• Senior Pass Members at Busch Gardens in Tampa will get various discount offers all year round and SeaWorld Orlando will give you a $3 discount if you are over 50. LegoLand Florida gives seniors a $7 discount on entrance.
• King’s Island offers seniors over the age of 62 various discounts as well You can also get a senior discount on one-day tickets and seasonal packages at Dolly Parton’s Tennessee-based park, Dollywood, that includes activities for all of the family.
• Tour National Parks
• Yosemite, Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon, Zion, The Everglades & More
• With this amazing perk, over 62s can use their age advantage to score a serious discount at America’s National Parks.
• It’s time to tour Yellowstone, senior citizens, you can get an annual pass for just $20 and a lifetime pass for $80. This pass gives seniors access to all 2,000 federal recreation sites, including National Forests and grasslands. You’ll be able to visit all of America’s parks through-out your retirement.
• The cost of the pass covers your entrance-fee, camping, usage fees for a driver and all passengers. You can take the grandkids camping for free whenever you like. Enjoy wildlife, gorgeous scenery and some well-earned peace and quiet.
• Amtrak, Trailways, Greyhound, National Rent A Car
• This one is no secret. Many bus and train operators offer discounts for seniors. Rail service, Amtrak will give over 62s a 15% discount on tickets, and Greyhound will save you 5%. 65-years old and over can score 10% with Trailways.
• Sixt automatically applies a discount if you book online. Hertz offers exclusive car deals for those over the age of 50.
• Keep in mind that some discounts may vary and can change without notice.
Talk on the Phone
Mobile phones are for senior citizens too, and you’d bet you can get a good deal on one, too.
Keep in mind that deals may vary and can change without notice.
• AT&T – plan for over 65s that costs $29.99 per month. You’ll get 200 anytime minutes, and 500 for evenings and weekends.
• GreatCall – a senior plan for $14.99. However they do have various additional fees, so expect to pay a little bit more. The plan offers health and safety tools, which include 24/7 access to urgent care, medication and refill reminders, daily automated calls to check in with you and much more. This plan works best with a Jitterbug phone, which is especially easy and comfortable to use.
• T-Mobile – plan for $60 a month for seniors 55+, which gives you 2 lines with unlimited talk, text and LTE data.
• Verizon Nationwide – 65 Plus Plan where you can get a plan for $29.99 that includes 200 minutes and unlimited text messaging, it also comes with 2GB of internet so you can browse your favorite websites from your phone. Keep in mind, however, that this plan is not available for new Verizon customers.
• Consumer Cellular – a plan that includes unlimited talk for $30.
• Flight Discounts
• Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Silver Wings Plus
• If you are thinking of traveling somewhere further from home you might need to know that you can get senior discounts from airlines too. Southwest Airlines will charge retirees at cheaper senior rates, just show proof of age when you are booking.
• United Airlines will also give a senior discount to those aged 65 and over and you can save even more if you are part of the Silver Wings Plus program.
• Continental also offer senior discounts on select routes, and you can get senior fares from American Airlines if you contact them by phone.
If you have a lot of time on your hands, you might like to keep them busy by getting creative. Whether it’s painting with your grandkids, making some festive decorations or maybe knitting a pair of mittens for your loved ones hobby shops have you covered.
Major hobby chain Michael’s have up to 10% exclusive discounts for senior citizens or even more off of crafting materials. Joann has specific Senior Days where senior citizens aged 55 and older receive a 20% discount off of their total purchase.
Visit a Museum
Natural History Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Metropolitan Museum of Art
Museums are a great way to spend time with your loved ones, so why not get discounts on those museum tickets. Most museums offer reduced ticket prices for senior citizens, for example Natural History Museum of Los Angeles offers a 25% discount for senior citizens.
Many museums in the U.S. have Free Admission Days, where citizens can enjoy the exhibitions for free. It is best to plan in advance and check the particular museums website for senior discounts. Also, there is always an option of calling the museum administration if you have any unanswered questions.
Save on Your Mortgage
Seniors can get special discounts and terms if they decide to refinance their mortgage. There’s a forgotten government program passed by Obama to help the middle class senior Americans reduce their monthly payments by as much as $3,500 each year. Click here to learn more about this mortgage bailout program.